Tuesday 26 June 2007

Hockey Cards & Gum ///Les cartes de hockey et la gomme balloune

As soon as I could scrounge up a bit of money by finding pop bottles or doing odd jobs, or when I would receive my weekly allowance from my Dad, I would run to the Magasin Serré corner store to buy a pack of hockey cards. Un-wrapping the pack, I would discover the stars of the NHL and an awful tasting pink gum stick. It didn’t matter because to me, the gum was free, as collecting cards was my passion. We traded cards, memorized the statistics on the back, and even used them as noise-makers in the spokes of our bicycles.


Aussitôt que je pouvais obtenir un peu d’argent en ramassant des bouteilles ou en faisant des petits travaux, ou lorsque je recevais mon allocation hebdomadaire de mon père, je courais au Magasin Serré pour acheter un paquet de cartes de hockey. Je déballais le paquet pour y découvrir les étoiles de la LNH ainsi qu’un affreux bâtonnet de gomme balloune rose. Ce n’était pas grave, pour moi la gomme était gratuite car les cartes me passionnaient. On échangeait les cartes, on mémorisait les statistiques à l’endos, et on s’en servait même dans les roues de nos bicyclettes pour faire du bruit.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Although those thin dusty pieces of gum were terrible, you have to admit that you will always remember the smell when you opened the package.

Blog Archive